I am regularly asked by buisness owners/managers how to reward and recognise the great contributions of your people with little or no budget to do so.
Firstly, congratulations for wanting to – you are on the road to being an Employer of Choice!
To help you further, here are some no cost suggestions to show them they are noticed:
- Post a thank-you note on the employee’s or team member’s office door.
- A very senior person call/visit a team member at the workplace to thank them for a job well done.
- Greet team members by name when you pass their desks or pass them in the hall.
- When discussing a team member’s or a group’s ideas with other people, peers, or higher management, make sure you give credit.
- Acknowledge individual achievements by using people’s names when preparing status reports.
- Name a continuing recognition award after an outstanding employee.
- Have lunch or coffee with an employee or a group of employees you don’t normally see.
- Share verbal accolades. Don’t forget to forward voice mail messages that compliment a team member’s work.
- Ask a person to teach or share his accomplishment with others as a way of recognizing the person’s ability and role.
- Ask a person for advice or their opinion; this demonstrates respect.
- Recognize an individual’s accomplishments in front of peers — yours or theirs.
- Practice positive nonverbal behaviours that demonstrate appreciation.
- Make a large calendar that can be posted. Call it the “celebration calendar” and use Post-Its and written notes of recognition tacked onto specific dates to honour contributions made by team members.
- Give the team member more responsibilities/activities.
- Allow the team member opportunities for learning and development.
- Flexible work practices.
Talk to Sally (Balanix Solutions) today for more assistance towards best practice Human Resource Management in your business – (07) 3264 4783.