Where to find Staff
In my travels as a recruitment consultant I came across a wonderful description of the Perfect Employee –
- Would not shy away from hard work and could find things that need to be done without the direction of others.
- Would get to work on time every time and not put at risk the lives of others in an attempt to be the first to leave each day.
- Would listen carefully when spoken to and ask only enough questions to ensure the accurate undertaking of the work.
- Would be honest and ethical, telling the truth every time.
- Would not sulk or complain when emergencies arise requiring extra effort and time.
- Would be cheerful, courteous and helpful to everyone and determined to make good.
- Would be enthusiastic and motivated to achieve.
- Would have the requisite education, skills and experience.
It is interesting that only 1 of the 8 attributes addresses skills experience and qualifications.
Finding the right person for the right job at the right time requires a number of steps in the process. However, in a competitive market, business owners need to look broadly to try and attract candidates. Here are some suggestions as to where to look which you may not have thought about …..
- Friends / Relatives
- Existing staff / Previous Staff
- Network Colleagues / Suppliers
- Newspaper advertising
- Internet Advertising (seek.com.au / careerone.com.au)
- Twitter / Facebook / Linkedin
- Recruitment Agencies – Job Network/Specialists/Not for Profit
- Recruitment Consultants – Balanix Solutions
- University / TAFE / Schools – intranet postings
- Door signage
- Industry Organisations – Publications/website
If you have other suggestions, please share through commenting to this blog below.